Friday 28 September 2012

Marathon Walk - Shine London 2012

Click here to make a Donation towards - Cancer Research UK

At the FINISH with my First Walking Marathon MEDAL....FINISHED in Approx. 11 Hours and 30 Minutes!
The SHINE Marathon Walkers arriving at Battersea Park Station, London....
   What can I say... My muscles are in agony. I have a few blisters on the sole of my Right feet. I'm not sure how I will find the recovery process, but it was definately brutal. The hill in Notting Hill and the final 5 Miles along the Embankment. I kept focusing on what an amazingly good things my sponsorship would do.  Anyone who battles through the 42KM walking deserves respect. It was hard emotionally and physically.  I was completely shattered at the end! 

The Shine Marathon Walk, London 2012
The supplies of Drinks, Bananas & Apples along the way....

Mentally exhausted at last 5 Miles.... I had to held back the pain, but cried inside of me when we entered the Power Station, Battersea....
For a tremendous cause!
Walkers taking a REST at the final PIT Stop....

 The amazing experience seeing all the people fighting through the miles and a humble reminder of all fighting through Cancer...


'Together We Will Get Round This Course'
The First Aid Tent
Mile 25 Mark..... ONE more to go!
The volunteers were fantastic, it was so cold but they smiled and encouraged the whole night.
   
BIB, T-Shirt & Medal! - Together we can beat CANCER....

I was SHINING for 'Penny Mickey Edwards' who lost her life through Cancer in 2010!

 Towards the START of the Marathon WALK - With my GLOW STICKS!

 

SHINE with PENNY!

As you all probably know I'm a 'Marathon Runner', I run Marathons... But tomorrow see's me do an even more challenging event than Running a Marathon. Yup... This time around, I've decided to WALK a Marathon. It's gonna take me hours to walk 26.2 Miles but it’s all in aid of 'Cancer Research UK'. This charity is very close to my heart because I will be walking this event in memory of my friend 'Penny Mickey Edwards'. Penny was diagnosed with Cancer and sadly died from Cancer at the age of 50, on 22nd November 2010. I had intentions on meeting Penny in Chicago, we spoke about it very often, but I guess it wasn’t fated to happen. Still today she is in my thoughts daily, RIP Penny.
My Fundraising Pack with Shine T-Shirt * to wear on the night and beyond!
It was never my attention to do a Marathon Walk, since I have only ONE week left before my 25th Marathon in Chicago and it would be silly to risk an injury or strain myself before this all important run. ... Too late now, I've already signed up, somehow don't know how I was convinced. The scary thing is, I haven't trained or prepared at all! The last running event I completed was the 10k Pride Run in London, on the 15th September 2012.
My Participant Number - Cancer Research UK
One of my colleagues Sunny Kumar, who walked 'Shine London' last year with quite a few other work mates, decided to walk again this year. However, the other colleagues who were going to walk with him unfortunately backed out, either due to lack of training or because they had experienced walking the Marathon last year and were put off by how hard it was. .... So when I heard that Sunny was still interested in doing the walk, I thought, how hard can it be?!!! It's only a Marathon Walk! Surely, it can't be as difficult as running one... Well I will soon to find out, another of our colleagues will be joining us on the Full Walk, he will step up to the challenge, so all three will be walking the Shine together as a team.

 The link to my sponsorship site is :- Cancer Research UK
(Please feel free to donate £1, £2, £5, £10 or any other donations are welcome).

Thanking you all for the continued support throughout the years!

No comments: